A WAV file is an old type of media file format with a mass of followers all over the world. Although the MP3 file is smaller, many users prefer WAV. WAV is simply a precise lossless format that reproduces recordings with no loss of sound quality.
What kind of file is WAV?
The audio waveform format (WAV, pronounced “wave”) is a raw audio format created by Microsoft and IBM. WAV files are uncompressed lossless audio files that can take up a lot of space at a rate of about 10 MB per minute.
WAV file formats use containers to store sound as “fragments” using the Resource Interchange file format. This is a common way that Windows uses to store audio and video files such as AVI, but it can also be used for all data.
It is mainly used in the professional recording industry. However, more and more people are moving away from WAV and using FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) as compression is used to reduce file size while maintaining quality.
What is MP3?
MP3 is an audio file, also known as a lossless format on a computer device. It’s a great resource for thrifty users thanks to an advanced algorithm.
When converting a WAV file to MP3, the computer uses less storage space than a WAV file. You can access the original data without having to worry about losing it when compressed.
The best thing about MP3 is that it gives you high-quality music files with excellent sound quality.
How to convert WAV to MP3 for free with Windows Media Player
Step 1: Open Windows Media Player on your computer and drag and drop the corresponding WAV file into the program interface. You can insert a CD with the WAV file into your computer.
Step 2: Find the library files to view the WAV files or click the downloaded CD. Select “Organize” on the left pane of the screen, then click the “Options” button.
Step 3: Go to Rip Music> Rip Settings> Format> MP3 and click Apply. Finally, click the OK button.
How to convert WAV to MP3 with iTunes for free
Step 1: Open a WAV file in iTunes right away or just click “My Media Library” if you already have one in iTunes.
Step 2: Right-click the WAV file and choose “Create MP3 Version” from the pop-up menu that appears.
Then iTunes will create the MP3 file and notify you that it has been successfully created.
Using VLC to convert your files
VLC is a free open source media player that opens almost all file formats. It has the ability to convert your audio files. http://windowsbulletin.com/how-to-convert-wav-to-mp3-in-windows-10/
- Open VLC and click “Media”, then click “Convert / Save”.
- If you have already uploaded your file to VLC, the tool will not automatically upload it to the converter. You will need to reload the file from this window. Click the “Add” button on the right.
- Now go to the file and click “Open”.
- Click “Convert / Save” to open the next window.
- Select MP3 from the “Profile” drop-down list below, then click “Browse” to select a folder to save the file.
- After selecting a folder, you need to change the file extension to “.mp3”, then click “Save”.
- If you want to control the encoding a bit more during conversion, click “Wrench”.
- This will open another window with advanced parameters that you can work with. In particular, the “Audio codec” tab is useful for changing parameters such as data rate, channels and sampling rate.
- Finally, click “Start” to start the conversion process.
However, the analysis of WAV to MP3 conversion is now complete. We hope this article has been useful for you.
We have done our best to find the best possible solutions to help you convert these files. If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact us, we will appreciate your feedback.